In its didactic and scientific activities the Language Centre contributes to the internationalization of the education process at Gdańsk University of Technology. All classes conducted at the Centre take place in foreign languages and are closely related to the needs of students of particular fields of study. Academic teachers at the Centre develop original didactic materials and scripts supporting specialist vocational training in foreign languages, important for both Polish and foreign students.
Due to the ERASMUS program, we have the opportunity to cooperate with foreign universities from twenty-eight European Union countries, as well as Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. The Foreign Language Centre currently cooperates with foreign language centres of the following universities:
- Turku University of Applied Sciences, Finland
- Queen Mary University of London, England
- Universidade do Minho, Braga, Portugal
- Manchester Metropolitan University, England
- Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Spain
- Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Spain
- Reykjavik University, Iceland
- Universidad de Castilla La Mancha, Spain
- Studentenwerk Karlsruhe Germany
Wide cooperation enables valuable exchange of experience, sharing good practices, developing standards and improving procedures, as well as gaining knowledge about the educational situation in an international context. We organize scientific and scientific-didactic conferences, mutual trainings, workshops and lectures.
Academic teachers at the Language Centre present their achievements at international conferences, conduct classes and language courses at European universities, promote the Centre and GUT in the international environment.
As part of the cooperation we take part in various projects, for example, to study the language needs of the international working environment, and to develop modern teaching materials (CoMoViWo project).
The Centre is also a member of the CercleS organization (European Confederation of Language Centres in Higher Education), which brings together around 290 language teaching units at European universities.
The activity of the Language Centre has a direct impact on the mobility of Polish and foreign students studying at Gdańsk University of Technology.
The main scope of our activities:
• Language preparation of GUT students for internships and studies abroad;
• Certification activity in the field of foreign languages for GUT departments, the IAESTE organization and the Erasmus program;
• Promoting studying abroad in foreign languages;
• Support for international students studying at GUT;
• Language education of foreign students (English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Russian, Swedish);
• Conducting classes in Polish as a foreign language for foreign students;
• Cooperation with the International Relations Office;
• Admission of foreign students for foreign language teaching practices;
• Conducting specialized language courses preparing students for studies and internships abroad.